Developing Academic Plan and Gathering Application Documents
Apply for our Fall 2024 cohort - Late application opens February 23 through March 29, 2024. Submit your unofficial transcripts to our academic advisor Alex Nichelson.
Alex will help you develop a plan that will allow you to fulfill any missing pre-requisite classes, transfer to the UA, and complete the ITEP program. A signed copy of this academic plan will be required for ITEP application.
ITEP applicants should also start gathering additional documents that verify their eligibility for our program including:
- Arizona IVP Fingerprint card (or proof of submission)
- Proof of Tribal Enrollment or Descendance
Submitting ITEP Application
- Access ITEP application
- Two letters of recommendation
- ITEP Essays
- Essay Prompt #1: Teaching and learning change lives in many ways. In the College of Education, teacher preparation programs focus on how education changes lives in socially just and equitable ways. In a 500-750 word essay, explain how education has impacted your life and/or community positively and negatively. Then, discuss how your educational experiences will help you to be a socially just teacher, particularly for indigenous children.
- Essay Prompt #2: Please select one question to answer in 300-500 words:
- 1. What does it mean to be an ideal teacher of Native American students?
- 2. How do the roles of teachers and education contribute to Native American community efforts (i.e. sovereignty)?
- 3. What motivated you to become a teacher of Native American students?
- Optional Essay: If your grade point average is below the required 2.50 (3.0 preferred; all GPAs considered) and/or you are missing any application requirements, please prepare an essay addressing the circumstances that have affected your GPA/ability to complete all application requirements by the deadline.
After Application Submission
Following application submission, the ITEP team will coordinate an interview time for us to get to know more about you! A decision is made and students are notified shortly after.
Important Note for Transfer Students
If you are not currently enrolled at UArizona, you must apply to the University of Arizona and be accepted prior to the start of the Fall 2024 semester.
ITEP Letter of Recommendation Form
ITEP Applicants will be required to submit 2 Letters of Recommendation with their application. These should be completed by those who have observed you in a classroom setting and can attest to your potential and ability to become educators. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we understand students may not have opportunities to obtain classroom experience so we will be accepting recommendations from individuals who can attest to your overall academic and/or professional abilities.